Pages

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Finding Marilyn Monroe.


On August 8, 1962, Marilyn Monroe was interred in a crypt at Corridor of Memories #24, at the Westwood Village Memorial Park Cemetery in Westwood, Los Angeles. Joe DiMaggio, to whom she was most recently married, took control of the funeral arrangements which consisted of only thirty-one close family and friends. Police were present to keep the press away. Her casket was solid bronze; lined with champagne colored silk. She was wearing her favorite green Emilio Pucci dress; and in her hands she held a small bouquet of pink teacup roses. 



On April 30, 2010, I too entered the Corridor of Memories; viewing plot twenty-four.
Something I have longed to do for quite some time.


What an experience. With a single plague, displaying only her name, her tomb puts a rather damper spin on her illustrious life. However, it is beautiful in a simple way.



Upon seeing her name, I felt a strange feeling in my stomach. I felt as though there was nowhere else I was supposed to be at this given moment. To top that off, without reason, my iPod shuffled to the song, "Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend." Which, of course, if famously preformed by Marilyn. For those of you have not heard it, follow the link. Words cannot explain what I felt at that moment. I sat down, soaking everything in, and suddenly felt very empowered. 





Not many people recognize Marilyn Monroe for what she truly was. An extraordinarily talented model, poet, actress, singer, and performer. Most commonly she is known for her "sex-symbol" status, but she was so much more. 



"I Wanna Be Loved By You."-From the movie, Some Like It Hot


Perhaps Elton John said it best when he wrote the song, Candle In The Wind, for Marilyn.
"Your candle burned out long before your legend ever did."

And WHO could forget the extremely sexy, taboo performance she gave for President Kennedy?


         


"I just want to be wonderful...."-Marilyn Monroe
And she was.


A couple quotes:
"I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they're right, you believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself, and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together." 

"I want to grow old without facelifts. I want to have the courage to be loyal to the face I have made." 
"It's better to be hated for what you are, than to be loved for what you are not." 

"I used to think as I looked out on the Hollywood night — there must be thousands of girls sitting alone like me, dreaming of becoming a movie star. But I'm not going to worry about them. I'm dreaming the hardest." 

"A man who can't handle me at my worst doesn't deserve me at me best." 





Marilyn Monroe once said, "We should all start to live before we get too old. Fear is stupid. So are regrets." Life without fear. Life without regret. Is there a better way to be? Think about it. Live your life. Do the things you want before it is too late. And most importantly, do not let anything stand in your way.





O, Time...
Be Kind.
Help this weary being
To forget what is sad to remember-
Loose my loneliness.
Ease my mind,
While you eat my flesh.
-Marilyn Monroe

Life does not go on forever. At some point, it will end. And when it does, I want to look back on it, and be proud of the things I have done, the places I've been, the things I have seen. 
-Dalton Kirk


2 comments:

  1. Really Richard, Really?! "On April 30, 2010, I too entered the Corridor of Memories; viewing plot twenty-four.
    Something I have longed to do for quite some time."

    2010!?! STUPID AMERICAN! :D <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. ;) LOVE ME. It says Anonymous, but I know who typed this.

    Silly German.

    ReplyDelete